Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It could be worse...

My one night and one day in hospital left me with a terrible feeling of sadness.
As I tossed and turned (and constantly jolted the alarm on my IV - well who can lay still with their arm sticking straight out for 24 hours, really?) I could hear two voices, constantly through the usual din of buzzers, a burnt-toast fire alarm, phones, breakfast trays being rattled and nurses with their jolly voices and clumping feet and loud laughter.

Somewhere in the distance I could hear a little child's voice, too worn out to even really cry anymore, just moaning 'mummy. I want my mummy. mummy' over and over again.

And somewhere, a little closer, was an old lady who'd had a fall who was in so much pain they couldn't medicate her enough to make it go away.
Even in her sleep she was groaning and crying.

I may have gone into hospital with a pain in my chest, but I left with a broken heart.
I can't imagine being that alone and that sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment