Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Defamatory? Or just offensive?

My neighbouring editor and I are having a disagreement about a letter I printed.
The writer borders on both our areas and I printed it and he chose not to.
I've included the letter so you can appreciate just how extreme it is, especially in a conservative parochial community where, even when you have extreme opinions you're expected to shut up & keep them to yourself.
At the same time, I believe that 'shut up' ethos will stop people replying to the letter, which is a real shame.
When we had an equally viralent letter about immigration and refugees I was heartened to see the horrified response from our community.

We currently have a sector of our society (clutching at straws of respectability) seeking State legalised marriage, to cloak their sordid practices of sodomy and formication.

At least these warped souls are ware that they do rate abysmally low, in respectability stakes of humanity.
They also have the audacity to shrug off the scourge of ‘Aids’ as no big deal!
These folk need to be reminded that the Holy Bonds of Matrimony were devised for the natural procreation of our species, to raise children in a safe, stable and caring environment.
It has been said very, that “No man is an island unto himself.” On the contrary – we live in a tangled web of humanity and we all contribute daily to the uplift, or the digression, of mankind?

When I saw this letter I wanted to gouge my own eyes out but I was taught, very early on in my career, that if the media's role is to represent everyone - then EVERYONE gets a say.
Not just the people I approve of or agree with. Not just the reasonable people.
Even crazy, nasty, horrible people should have (and don't really have) the right to free speech.
And I wish there were a few more openly gay people in my community to give this woman the public serving she deserves.
But instead, I think I'll just get my car keyed one weekend for printing it at all.

1 comment:

  1. I just found this blog, and wanted to say that you have a great conversational style of writing.

    ReplyDelete